Dr Kim Willoughby
Moredun Research Institute
Pentlands Science Park
Midlothian EH26 0PZ
Kim Willoughby graduated from Glasgow University Veterinary School in 1982 and spent 6 years in general veterinary practice, followed by 2 in industry, before moving to Liverpool University to work as a referral clinician and undertake a PhD in molecular virology. Following completion of her PhD she continued working at Liverpool University as a lecturer and research fellow. She joined the Virus Surveillance Unit at Moredun in 2002 to develop molecular based diagnostic tests and since February 2007 she has been the head of the Virus Surveillance Unit.
- Development of molecular methods for multiple pathogen detection.
- Infectious respiratory disease.
- Infectious reproductive disease.
- Herpesvirus infections.
- Pestivirus infections.
Selected Key Publications
- Willoughby, K., Gilray J., Maley M., Dastjerdi A., Steinbach F., Banks M., et al. 2010. Lack of evidence for circovirus involvement in bovine neonatal pancytopenia. The Veterinary Record. 166(14):436-437.
- Foyle, K. L., Fuller H. E., Higgins R. J., Russell G. C., Willoughby K., Rosie W. G., et al. 2009. Malignant catarrhal fever in sika deer (Cervus nippon) in the UK. The Veterinary Record. 165(15):445-447.
- Penny, C. D., Bell C., Morrison L., Howie F., & Willoughby K. 2009. Pancytopenia and haemorrhage in young beef calves. The Veterinary Record. 164(24):762.
- McInnes, C. J., Coulter L., Dagleish M. P., Fiegna C., Gilray J., Willoughby K., et al. 2009. First cases of squirrelpox in red squirrels (Sciurus vulgaris) in Scotland. The Veterinary Record. 164(17):528-531.
- Holliman, A., Daniel R., Twomey D. F., Barnett J., Scholes K., Willoughby K., et al. 2007. Malignant catarrhal fever in cattle in the UK. The Veterinary Record. 161():494-495.
- Willoughby, K., Thomson K., Maley M., Gilray J., Scholes S., Howie F., et al. 2008. Development of a real time reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction for the detection of bovine respiratory syncytial virus in clinical samples and its comparison with immunohistochemistry and immunofluorescence antibody testing. Veterinary Microbiology. 126(1-3):264 - 270.
- Marriott, L., Willoughby K., Chianini F., Dagleish M. P., Scholes S., Robinson A. C., et al. 2006. Detection of Louping ill virus in clinical specimens from mammals and birds using TaqMan RT-PCR. Journal of Virological Methods. 137(1):21-28.
- Willoughby, K., Valdazo-González B., Maley M., Gilray J., & Nettleton P. F. 2006. Development of a real time RT-PCR to detect and type ovine pestiviruses. Journal of Virological Methods. 132(1-2):187 - 194.
- Willoughby, K., Nettleton P. F., Quirie M., Maley M. A., Foster G., Toszeghy M., et al. 2005. A multiplex polymerase chain reaction to detect and differentiate Campylobacter fetus subspecies fetus and Campylobacter fetus -species venerealis: use on UK isolates of C. fetus and other Campylobacter spp.. Journal of Applied Microbiology. 99(4):758 - 766.
Not a Member?
Moredun membership allows you to keep up to date with the latest advances in livestock health. You can join or renew your Moredun membership online.